The Man in the Moon
The Guardians of Childhood
by William Joyce
published by Atheneum Books for Young Readers in 2011
- A feast of gorgeous illustrations and wonderful imaginative adventure will delight children and adults
- This is the picture book part of the Guardians of Childhood series- (Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Sandman, and the Easter Bunny- I was personally not that engaged with the chapter books- but I enormously enjoyed this stunning book
- A magical journey -follow the adorable baby – Man in the moon – in a distant galaxy
- Loving parents and the kind character of “Nightlight” protect the baby from danger there is a battle between good and evil forces(children who are sensitive to bad guys may find this a bit frightening)
- Check out the authors- wonderful interactive website –here with lots of interactive content
by Anthony Browne
published by Walker Books in 2014
- an adventure tale highlighting some famous works of Children’s literature
- readers will enjoy Browne’s delightful illustrations- in his characteristic style- showing varied snapshots of classics- such as Treasure Island, Robin Hood, and even the Wizard of Oz
- super book to encourage young readers to check out some older books- full of fun
Flight of the Last Dragon
by Robert Burleigh and illustrated by Mary GrandPre
published by Philomel Books in 2012
- Beautiful but sad tale – written in poetic verse – the fictional account of the making of the constellation Draco
- Ultimon the dragon- goes on a difficult flight
- Junior Astronomers and poetry fans will be enthralled with this lovely book
Farther and farther,
He travels on,
Drawn by a voice;
Onward and upward!
Cold and alone!
Through clouds of dust,
Past moons of stone.
His body aches
At every turn.
Ice coats his feathers.
His hot lungs burn.
Lenny & Lucy
written by Philip C. Stead and illustrated by Erin E. Stead
published by Roaring Book Press in 2015
- This is a highly unusual story- a young boy moves house and is lonely
- He and his friendly dog Harold- make some playmates out of a bundle of cushions and blankets stitched together into a snowman type creature
- Beautiful water color and pencil drawings illustrate this tale
- Encourages imaginative and outdoor play- I liked this story
by Carol Ann Duffy and Rob Ryan
published by Barefoot Books in 2010
- Unusual Fairytale- following a young girl who makes a wish and a mystical silver haired woman who grants her request
- Woodland fable illustrated by unique style monochrome illustrations which appear to be paper cut outs
- This story examines the continuum of life and the cycles of birth, life and death
I Love you More Each Day!
by Suzanne Chiew and Tina Macnaughton
published by Little Tiger Press in 2013
- This is just the type of book I love to recommend!
- I adored this beautiful picture book- extolling the special relationship of a mother and child- so sweet
- Perfect book to give as a gift to an expectant or new parent and one you will want to keep in your library to savour with your little(or not so little ones)
You show me hidden treasures,
But none so sweet as you.
Each kind and gentle thing you do,
Each thoughtful thing you say,
Makes me so very proud of you.
I love you more each day.